ESPN announced on Tuesday that Lamar Odom will no longer play for Mavericks as the two have decided to part ways. The decision was taken on Sunday after the two parties realized that it was best for Dallas to let Odom go without actually releasing it.
A lot of fuss was made last year when Lamar Odom was traded to the Dallas Mavericks and it seemed that both the player and the team were satisfied about the deal. Even though the team did not want to make any comments in relation to Odom’s departure, analysts think coach Rick Carlisle was not pleased with Odom’s performance on court. Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson was the only one who admitted that the 32-year-old player made his team lose several games because of his personal issues.
Lamar Odom released a personal statement as soon as the news was made public saying that the agreement was mutual. He further stated that his departure is in the team’s best interest. Despite the unexpected turn of events, Odom declared that he doesn’t bear any grudges against the Mavs; on the contrary, he wished them “continued success in the defense of their championship”.
Close sources told reporters that Odom will leave the team as soon as possible, but the Mavs will not immediately release him, so they could eventually trade him at the end of the season. The 32-year-old basketball player was supposed to earn $8.2 million between 2012 and 2013, so any team that wants to buy him before the end of the season would have to take responsibility of this sum of money or pay $2.4 million in his exchange.
ESPN contacted Mavs owner Mark Cuban to comment on the news, but the latter said he had nothing to add about Odom’s departure. Unlike him, coach Rick Carlisle reassured fans that Dallas won’t have any difficulties replacing Odom throughout the season. In his opinion, there are many other guys in the team that are ready to step up, so it will be easy for everyone to adjust to the new situation.