It’s not like waiting for your admission or rejection college letter is easy, but if among your applications you had UCLA on the list, then things are about to be even more difficult. UCLA has made a staggering admission mistake that announced 894 students were in, when they were in fact on the waiting list. And for the UCLA admission mistake, 894 emotionally wrecked students will receive apologies.
894 high school senior students received an email notice that brought them the best news so far. The email notice read “Once again, congratulations on your admission to UCLA, we hope that this information will assist you in making your decision to join the Bruin Family in the fall” and added some financial aid information. The news was without a doubt welcomed with happiness, but too bad it didn’t last.
The email notice that congratulated them for being admitted at University of California, Los Angeles, also had a link that lead the students to confusing information that read they were still on the waiting list. Earlier this week, UCLA became aware of the mistake and sent another email to high school seniors on the waiting list, apologizing for the mistake.
This Wednesday, Ricardo Vasquez, spokesman for UCLA, told Reuters: “We realize this is a particularly stressful time for students and parents as they try to make decisions about where they go to college. We were aware of that and we apologize”.
The UCLA admission mistake was attributed by Vasquez to a human error and mentioned that 2012 was the first year the university is offering a waiting list for students that aren’t admitted on the spot. However, this is not the first time UCLA makes such a big mistake. Three years ago, 28,000 high school seniors received admissions notices from UC San Diego, when they were in fact rejected.
What’s concerning is that experts say these kind of mistakes will continue to occur and they advise students to confirm their college admission with the university before getting to enthusiastic. J.D. Ross, Syracuse University communications director, said: “This is an issue everyone in higher-ed is very aware of and we watch for it – it’s something we take very seriously. No one wants to be in the media spotlight for ruining the day for hundreds or thousands of prospective students”.