Wal-Mart Removes Child Formula After Baby Dies In Missouri

Proof that even a mother’s scrutiny is not enough when buying baby products, this week a 10-days baby died in Missouri after being fed child formula bought from Wal-Mart. As a result, Wal-Mart has decided to remove a batch of 12.5 ounce child formula after the baby death in Missouri.

Last week, 10 days old baby Avery was taken to St. John’s Hospital – Lebanon after his parents got concerned with him appearing lethargic and displaying signs of a stomach ache. Since his condition did not improve, he had to be moved to St. John’ Hospital – Springfield. Preliminary tests showed he was suffering from an infection caused by rare bacteria, Cronobacter sakazakii. He died Sunday after being taken off life support.

The child has been fed Enfamil Newborn powder, bought from a Wal-Mart Store in Lebanon. But the formula’s manufacturer, Mead Johnson Nutrition said products from the same batch as that Avery was fed with, tested negative.

Chris Perille, a Mead Johnson Nutrition spokesman, stated: “We are highly confident in the safety and quality of our products – and the rigorous testing we put them through”.

Wal-Mart decided to act fast and prevent any potential accident, and decided to recall all the lot “out of an abundance of caution”. The store announced that customers with 12.5 ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder with the lot number ZP1K7G should bring the product in for an exchange or refund.

Diana Gee, Wal-Mart spokeswoman, said: “We extend our deepest condolences to this baby boy’s family as they try to come to grips with their loss”.

Gena Terlizzi, spokeswoman for the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, said that samples of the formula given to Avery were sent to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for testing. She explained that “at this point it has not been determined whether the illness is linked to the formula or an outside source”.

During the investigation, public health agents are going to look at environmental factors too, such as the water used in preparing the powdered formula.

All in all, the Missouri Department of Health is advising parents to strictly follow World Health Organization guidelines for safely preparing powdered infant formula.

Previous ArticleNext Article
Mara is a life coach and soon, she will be a psychotherapist. She has been involved in several wellness projects and is now here for you. She will give you hints on how to reach that healthy lifestyle you always wanted. Ask Mara a question and she might just answer in one of her articles. To contact Mara, e-mail her at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/ena/ failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/ena/ on line 58

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/ena/ failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/ena/ on line 58