Health

CDC Warns About Kids Eating Laundry Detergent Pods

CDC warns parents about kids eating laundry detergent pods, saying this is an “emerging public health hazard”.

During a 30-period, 486 kids were hospitalized after eating laundry detergent pods they thought it was candy.  Earlier this year, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced poison centers nationwide reported 10 cases a day on average. The new report from CDC warns parents laundry detergent pods among children under age 6 is a real “public health hazard”.

Although laundry detergent companies announced since May they will release child-proof packaging, the numbers in the CDC report don’t reflect any change. For the course of 30 days this summer, there were 1,008 detergent poisoning reports among kids, out of which 486 were caused by eating pods.

The CDC warns that kids under 6 were most represented 94 percent of the laundry detergent poisoning cases. And it’s easy to see why: the laundry detergent pods look a lot like sweets and are small enough to be bitten. The children who ate laundry detergents pods had a much harder time fighting the poisoning that the rest.

The symptoms of laundry detergent poisoning include vomiting, coughing or chocking, eye irritation or pain, red eyes, lethargy and drowsiness. Commonly, children who ingested laundry detergent pods had symptoms such as vomiting, drowsiness and coughing or choking.

CDC advises parents to keep their laundry detergent away from children’s reach. “Health care providers should be aware that exposure to laundry detergent from pods might be associated with adverse health effects more often that exposure to non-pod laundry detergents” the CDC report adds.

Proctor & Gamble told ABC News in May they will release a new packaging option that will make it harder for kids to take out the detergent. But whereas the new over-the-lid resealable sticker containers will be available as of December, the company doesn’t seem to have any plans to remove the old, potentially dangerous ones. Not to mention the container looks a lot like a candy jar…

Henkel told ABC News that it has “updated the packaging with clearer labels to warn parents about the risks and to provide more specific instructions in the event of ingestion”.

Previous ArticleNext Article
Cat Cain is our latest addition to the team. She's an expert in celebrity life and fashion and will cover any news that has to do with the life of the stars. She has a Bachelors Degree in Journalism and a Master Degree in Journalism and Social Communication and she's very passionate about life on the big screen and behind the curtains. If you have any suggestions or questions for her, send her an email at cat.cain @ dailygossip.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *